privileged and challenged to be south african.

we're all in this together.

Archives

20172016201520142013201220112010200920082007200620052004200320022001

SEIFSA suggests that NEASA is engaging in propagandist measures

Posted in: Press releases
Date Added: 2014/08/14

This is a further open letter to the leadership of the agent SEIFSA, following a press release by their CEO, suggesting that NEASA is engaging in propagandist measures due to apparent desperation. Please find the open letter below:-

Dear SEIFSA leadership

I read your press release with extreme disappointment. I expected more from you. You accuse me of 'making misleading claims' and 'perpetuate blatant untruths'; but ironically, that is exactly what you are doing.

I have taken note of your remarks and have decided to deal with each and every statement that you have put forward. It is important that the Industry knows who and what they are dealing with.

THE TWO THINGS YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT
You say that we 'rubbish' the settlement agreement SEIFSA 'reluctantly' entered into, the one you said will cause 'massive job losses'; the agreement Irvin Jim said was a massive victory for NUMSA. You're right, we rubbish that agreement. How can we otherwise treat this agreement if it will accelerate the demise of the Industry?

You also say that NEASA is desperate. Yes, we are; but for a completely different reason that you have suggested. We are desperate on behalf of an Industry. I cry inside when I see the damage the SEIFSA/NUMSA pact has done to this Industry over many years. You however need to be desperate about something else; the number of employers which have had enough and now turn their back on you.

PROPAGANDA AIMED AT ANYBODY AND EVERYBODY
You say NEASA 'has been engaged in strident propaganda against anybody and everybody'. That is not true. My attack is aimed at SEIFSA, NUMSA and the MEIBC, the three of you.

By the way, the moment you give NEASA and SMME's in the Industry an undertaking that you will not extend your agreement to us, our attack will stop. Give us an undertaking that you will keep your destructive and selfish agreement applicable to your big employers on which your negotiated settlement has no impact and we will leave you in peace. You attract this assault from us because you (a hopeless minority movement representing 15% employers in the Metal Industry) somehow wants to extend that agreement to the remaining 85% of employers in the Industry. This is outrageous.

SEIFSA and NUMSA NEGOTIATED BEHIND NEASA's BACK 
I find it disturbing that you deny this fact. Apart from SEIFSA and NUMSA, who else was present during the fatal negotiations facilitated by the Minister of Labour? Why else do you think we addressed the Minister on this fundamental error? Are you suggesting that what I am saying is not true? If that is indeed the case, I have no other option but to doubt your integrity.

Yes, we negotiated in the same caucus until you began your bilaterals with NUMSA.

SEIFSA ONLY REPRESENTS BIG COMPANIES
In denying that, you claim that 65% of SEIFSA affiliated companies are small companies. Are you suggesting that you acted in their interests when you negotiated this recent and previous agreements? Are you suggesting that your agenda is not driven by big business? Let your members be the judge of this.

OUR ATTACKS ON YOU REFLECTS POORLY ON OUR INTEGRITY
Let the public, and not you, make that call. Again, do not even attempt, with the assistance of your socialist partner, NUMSA, to extend this agreement to the rest of the Industry. We will view any attempt in this regard as an act of hostility towards an already fragile Industry, which, in your own words, will 'cause massive job losses.' It's your agreement; live with it and kindly divulge the information in respect of the number of retrenchment notices already issued by the few members you have left, failing which we will divulge that information. Your agreement is not our agreement and we will do everything, within the confines of the law, to protect the rest of the Industry against any extension thereof.

SEIFSA HAS NO ROLE TO PLAY IN THE MEIBC
I stand by this. SEIFSA is a self-proclaimed agent of employers' organisations. Your involvement in this Industry is the single most obvious cause for the crisis the Industry finds itself in.

THE POSTPONED ARBITRATION IRO THE SEATS DISPUTE IS NEASA's FAULT
Once again you are ill advised. A copy of your attorneys' letter requesting a postponement is available on request.


Kind regards

Gerhard Papenfus

For more information:
Sya van der Walt-Potgieter
Media Liaison



Login / Become a Member to comment